Translate

Friday 7 March 2014

Whooping Cough: I thought I'd published this but forgot so here it is 6 weeks late. I'm quite better btw.

At My Age?

I was sent home from work last week because, frankly, I couldn't draw breath and I couldn't hold a conversation which, in retail, makes you worse than useless. I thought it was the tail end of an annoying cough but since I couldn't breathe I made an emergency appointment with the GP. He gave me some steroids and antibiotics and told me to come back on Friday. Cough still no better Friday so the GP gave me higher doses of steroids and told me to stay off work. Monday still no better. The coughing was beyond ridiculous so I went back at which point the GP said "Whooping Cough"

But I'm too old for whooping cough and anyway I was vaccinated. Oh and although I can't draw breath I'm not whooping. Just going blue in the face and choking a bit. 

I'm still waiting for the blood test results but it seems I probably do have what is considered a childhood disease. However it isn't a childhood disease. It is simply the case that complications are more likely in childhood and because a child can't express itself the paroxysms are particularly distressing for parent and child alike.

For those of you unfamiliar with the arc of whooping cough or Bordatella pertussis here is the skinny:

Initially the disease presents as a head cold, possibly a bit of a cough and a runny nose. There may be fever and there will probably be a headache. This will last a few days maybe up to two weeks but then seem to improve. During this period you are at your most infectious and likely to pass it on to friends and co workers who are susceptible.

After a few days the cough begins in ernest and this is referred to as the paroxysmal phase. During this time talking, breathing, changes in air temperature (and did I mention?) breathing can all set off paroxysms of coughing. In about 50% of cases these end in a desperate gasp for breath which produces the characteristic "whoop" which gives the illness it's name. According to a practitioner I know a good immune system can prevent the whoop but cant fight off the bug. I definitely don't have the whoop.

The paroxysmal phase can last anything from 2 weeks to 8 weeks. I'm taking loads of herbs so I'm hoping they will enable my immune system to keep this to a minimum but I discover that in a number of countries it's known as the 100 day cough. Which brings me to the convalescent phase which I hope is where i'm heading but can apparently take from three to 6 months.

Whooping cough is starting to make a comeback.  Another herbalist freind had it last year and when i mentioned it to a friend from the allotment she said someone else she knew had it. So I looked up the figures.


That's just the UK but the trend is the same all over the world. It is suggested that this apparent trend is simply the result of better awareness and testing but I can assure you that GP's knew whooping cough when they saw it in the past. But who knows, perhaps loads of adults had it and didn't know because they didn't make the noise? Who knows but make sure you know the symptoms because if you catch it early antibiotics or a whacking great dose of crushed garlic might abort it in it's tracks. Once you get to the paroxysmal phase the antibiotics just stop others getting it. You're stuffed.

Things that make it better. Hot dead sea salt baths. Sitting outside in the cold air with a chicken on my lap. Hot lemon and honey and cinnamon. Not doing much. Eating cake. Cake is proving to be specific for suspected whooping cough. It's also specific for my waistline but after all, it's medicine......


No comments:

Post a Comment