Translate

Thursday 27 March 2014

Crazy Things You Can Buy For Your Chicken

I don't believe it!

After joking yesterday about taking chickens for a walk on a lead I was persuaded by a friend to do a web search for chicken leads. I can honestly say that I have never been more surprised by the variety of bizarre merchandise that is available in such a niche area.

We can start with THE CHICKEN DIAPER. Nappies for chooks. Seriously such things exist. Not only that but they are available in a rainbow of colours and prints. Not just, as you might think, the various colours of chicken feathers. Oh no, chicken nappies are available in floral prints, plain colours and many quirky prints including skulls for those of you with gothic tendencies or a need to honour Alexander McQueen.These nappies also come as integral parts of a chicken dress with bows on the back or with a pre installed D ring so that you can attach a leash. These "Leash Ready" diapers come in packets of 4.

Now I don't know about you but while I can't say I exactly love chicken poop I do not feel the need to attach a bag to the hen's rear in order to catch it before it soils the garden. I guess the kind of people who like a chicken nappy are the sort of people who want their chickens to have free access to the sofa and sky TV. After all what is life without "The Real Housewives of Orange County" or "Dog the Bounty Hunter."? Perhaps even a bit of  "Jeremy Kyle". Of course the mention of Mr Kyle has thrust an unwanted image of chickens sitting on high stools being interviewed about their dysfunctional families. There are at least two cockerels duking it out over who is the eggy daddy....

Of course when I did a web search for bizarre chicken accessories I didn't find things for chickens. I found chicken themed things for people . Masks, costumes, er.....the kind of bedroom accouterments we don't need to discuss here. Clearly the world is chicken mad.

On balance I'll stick to feeding the girls on organic free range pellets, the odd bit of bacon and grain and I'll continue wearing wellies, a grubby sweater and an old pair of leggings when i'm tending to them. and where it comes to the chickens bathroom habits and free ranging? Somehow I think Chicken nappies and leads are for other, perhaps less busy, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment